The Oregon Women, Infants and Children Nutrition Program helps pregnant and postpartum woman, and infants and children healthy. Woman and children who qualify receive nutrition education and support. WIC is proved to keep woman, infant, and children healthier because it provides access to fresh and healthy food and regular check-ins with WIC staff. Children on WIC are also eating more foods that help their immune system, visit their doctors more, and are more likely to stay up-to-date on important vaccinations.
You qualify if you:
- Live in Oregon
- Are a pregnant, postpartum (up to 6 months after delivery) or breastfeeding woman, an infant or child under five years of age
- Have a nutritional need as determined by our certified professional nutritionist
- Are low-income
- You are automatically income eligible for WIC if you currently receive TANF, SNAP or the Oregon Health Plan.
- Fathers, guardians or foster parents may apply for WIC for their children
Call Crook County Health Department to make an appointment at 541-447-5165
WIC provides services quarterly to Mitchell, Post, and Paulina, call for more details
WIC staff will tell you what to bring to your appointment
At your appointment
- WIC certified professional will check your diet and review your health history.
- You will receive nutrition information and counseling, referrals to other services and food benefits you will be able to buy specific foods that keep pregnant and breast feeding women, infants, and children healthy.
One-on-one time with WIC trained experts who provide:
- Nutrition education and counseling on using WIC foods to improve health
- Breastfeeding support and lactation education
- Information on good eating during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and how to feed your child
- Referrals to other services you may qualify for, like Immunizations, Family Planning, Birth Control, Prenatal Care, Primary Care, Head Start, Early Intervention, Home Visiting and Family Support Programs, Food Resources and Programs like SNAP, TANF and Oregon Health Plan
Nutrition Education Classes
WIC offers a wide variety of educational classes for clients, including classes in Spanish. Clients receive nutrition counseling at each certification appointment and are required to attend at least one nutrition education class in each 6 month certification period.