COUNTY CLERK - RECORDINGS
The Crook County Clerk's office offers electronic document recording (eRecording). This service allows you to record your documents more rapidly than if the documents are mailed. Documents must be submitted through a third-party vendor. In other words, we do not accept documents sent to us by email.
All eRecordings must be submitted at a minimum of 300 dpi scanned black and white image.
Currently, Crook County has contracts with Simplifile, Corporation Service Company, Indecomm Global and eRecording Partners Network (EPN). Other interested vendors are welcome to contact our office.
Recording Fees ...
FEES HAVE INCREASED AS OF JUNE 4, 2018....see details here
Death Certificate Coversheet
Military Discharge Coversheet
Crook County Records and Licenses – Recording Requirements
We will make every effort to return recorded documents within ten business days of recording. Photocopies of documents are available for a fee by coming into the office or by mail. You may search and or view documents in our office free of charge.
The document provided for recording must be a legible original that meets all content requirements.
Any document that contains text not sufficiently legible to reproduce a readable photographic record will be returned without being recorded. Example: Faxed or copied documents, even with original signatures, often do not meet this requirement.
Documents requiring legal descriptions of subject real property must meet the standards set forth in ORS 93.600.
Do not use staples or paper clips for attachments; they must be permanently adhered by tape or glue. Document pages may be staples together.
Each document must provide sufficient space for the recording certificate which measures approximately 3.50"(w) x 3.50"(h)
If there is not sufficient space for the recording certificate on the first page of the document a recording coversheet will be required, please add $5 to the recording fee. Select the appropriate Coversheet or you may create your own - coversheets must meet the ORS 205.234 requirements.
The following must be clearly labeled and shown on the first page:
- Title(s) of the document (type of transaction)
- Name(s) of all Direct and Indirect parties
- Person and address to whom the document is to be returned, labeled:
- True and actual consideration (ORS 93.030). See County Consideration Policy
Consideration means the amount of cash and the amount of any lien, mortgage, contract, indebtedness or other encumbrance to property.
- Name and address where the tax statement is to be sent, labeled:
"Mail tax statement to: " (ORS 93.260).
- Information required for County Clerk lien records by ORS 205.125 (1)(c) and (e).
- For instruments assigning a mortgage or trust deed, the name and address of the assignee must be included.
- Page size: Legal 8.5" x 14" or letter 8.5" x 11" (white).
- Font: Black type or ink, 8 point or larger in size
- Paper weight: Sufficient to prevent bleed-through from back
- Recording certificate: First page of each document must have enough blank space to accommodate our 3.50"(w) x 3.50"(h) recording certificate. Please note: If sufficient space is not available on your document, you will need to add one of the recording coversheets (PDF) with the required space provided. Adding a coversheet that meets ORS 205.234 requirements will also add $5 to the recording cost of the document.
Non-Standard Form Fee
A $20.00 non-standard fee is added in addition to all other fees to documents except UCC's that do not meet the requirements as outlined in ORS 205.232, 205.234, 205.327.
UCC's have a non-standard fee of $10.00 if they are not on UCC-1A or UCC-3A forms approved by the Oregon Secretary of State, dated 1990 or after.
Recording a Death Certificate
Crook County accepts the following death certificates for recording:
Oregon Death Certificates - Oregon Short Form Death Certificates (without cause of death information). An unaltered certified copy of and Oregon SHORT FORM death certificate may be accepting for recording in Crook County. In order to record, you will need to attach the unaltered certified copy to a Death Certificate Coversheet.
Oregon Long Form Death Certificates (with cause of death information) If the death occurred on or after January 1, 2014, we cannot accept Oregon Long Form death certificates showing cause of death. Please contact Oregon Vital Records (after 6 months of passing) or you local health department (within 6 months of passing) to order a short form death certificate. If the death occurred prior to January 1, 2014, please affix it to a Death Certificate Coversheet, as it can be recorded.
Do not alter the death certificate in any way including redacting Social Security Number.
Out of Oregon Death Certificates - Please attached a Death Certificate Coversheet, as these are recordable if unaltered.
What We Don't Do
This office does not:
- Give legal advice
- Help you fill out documents
- Tell you what type of document to use
If you need help, we recommend that you contact an attorney or title company for assistance.
- Any document that has been previously recorded may be re-recorded to make corrections to the original document
- The first page of the corrected document must meet all of the first page requirements for recordings.
- The corrected document need not be resigned by the party(ies) and acknowledged by a notary a second time.
- A certified copy of a recorded instrument may not be altered for the purpose of correcting the original instrument. The person presenting the instrument may present an unaltered certified copy of the recorded instrument when it is attached to a cover sheet authorized by ORS 205.234(2). Rerecording coversheet (PDF)
- The person presenting an original document for re-recording has two options:
1. a signed re-recording statement may be added to the first page if there is available space, or
2. a signed re-recording coversheet (PDF) may be added to the document, the coversheet will add $5 to the recording fee.
- If the re-recording statement is added to the first page of the original document the statement must not cover any information contained in the original document and shall read as follows:
“RE-RECORDED AT THE REQUEST OF
PREVIOUSLY RECORDED IN BOOK PAGE
OR AS FEE NUMBER
The undersigned hereby certifies corrections to the previously recorded instrument are true and correct.
PRINTED NAME & TITLE ”